Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lotus
  • 1 Post By lotus
  • 1 Post By TonyB

my new old boay

The Marina

Section - I got this 12' V-bottom 1963 1st pic is when I got to boat home. ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    Home Port : lake wales, fla
    Boat's Name : none
    1963 StarCraft 12'

Default my new old boay

I got this 12' V-bottom 1963

1st pic is when I got to boat home. The bike tires was a way to move boat to the water edge. you could see the old transom.
    the next tow is the newly repaired transom.
    I'm thinking of adding flooring to the stern just past the rear seat. then another plywood 3/4" to the front from just past the bow past the 1st seat.
    thinking this world make the V-bottom a lot stable.
    any ideas are welcome and needed since Ive never did any of this before.
    Attached Thumbnails img_20180217_165604541.jpg   img_20180407_110927492.jpg   img_20180423_114048499.jpg  

Lieutenant
    Home Port : Villeneuve, Switzerland
    Boatless (but not for long)

Hi Katan,

That is a real fun boat. I am sure that I am not the only one here who has been driven into hours of joyful reminiscence.

Small aluminium boats like that are almost indestructible and you don't need to try to "reinforce" it. Check that all the rivets are solid. Remember that the seats are also cross members so check those mountings as well. Drive it like you stole it and know that a bit of leakage and some bonging when you hit big waves/logs is part of the fun.

Some form of flooring can make it more comfortable on your feet but will also make it harder to bail and clean as well as providing a great hiding place for your live bait when the can tips over.

Good job with the transom. That can be the one weak link.
    Last edited by lotus; April 24th, 2018 at 11:57.
    Cap'n Ray likes this.

Lieutenant
    Home Port : Villeneuve, Switzerland
    Boatless (but not for long)

Hi Again Katan,

I hadn't read your first post when I posted and didn't realize what you wanted to do with the boat.

Putting in a floor will make it easier (flatter) for you to walk around in the boat but will also mean that you can step off the center line and cause the boat to tilt. If you put in a couple of boards down the center, maybe 12 to 15 inches wide, you will have an easier place to move around on while keeping the center of gravity in the center.

If you still find the boat too tippy then you could consider an outrigger. Even something simple that mounts in the oarlock would make her much more stable (side to side) when stopped fishing and can be easily removed or swung in when running.
    Cap'n Ray likes this.

Ensign
    Home Port : Norfolk, uk
    C Kip Sedan

It took us near on five years to find our dream in the uk. lots of work to do but worth it.img_8045.jpg
    TimG likes this.

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Upstate,SC USA
    Boat's Name : The Caroliner
    30' Spira International Sitka

tinboats.net has a lot of stuff on those old ally v hulls.