cannot get flax into gland nut

At The Helm

Section - anyone have a suggestion on getting flax into gland nut. I am attempting to repack ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    Home Port : Pa
    34dc Hatteras

Default cannot get flax into gland nut

anyone have a suggestion on getting flax into gland nut. I am attempting to repack my port shaft and not having any luck. I have determined that the gland takes 5/16 packing but after many attempts and even smashing it down a little with a hammer it still won't go in. A trusted parts man said use 1/4 inch flax and add an additional ring. Any ideas folks.. Thanks

Ensign
    Home Port : Ohio
    31' Tiara Open

If the 5/16" packing won't fit easily, it's most likely too big. I would recommend going with the 1/4". To aid in its installation, I made a tool from a short piece of pvc pipe with the same size internal diameter as your shaft. Cut the pipe into 2 pieces that can be wrapped around the shaft. Start the packing in the gland nut and push it in the rest of the way with the tool.

Ensign
    Home Port : Pa
    34dc Hatteras

Thanks for your input. I take it that you should not have to muscle the packing into the gland.

Ensign
    Home Port : Ohio
    31' Tiara Open

Correct. The packing should fit inside the gland without much trouble. If you can measure the diameter of the shaft and then the inside diameter of the gland, the difference divided by 2 should be the size of the packing. This is the theoretical size of the packing. On my boat this comes out to be 5/16", but I can only get 1/4" packing to fit, so that's what I use with no problems. The pvc tool also helps alot.