Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Looking for Ideas!

The Marina

Section - I know there are manufacturer specific forums but what happens when you aren't sure what ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Admin
    Home Port : Olive Branch, MS
    Boat's Name : "WooHoo"
    1986 Cruisers Elegante 297

Default Looking for Ideas!

I know there are manufacturer specific forums but what happens when you aren't sure what boat you are looking for? So I decided I would start this off.

I decided last year that it was time to move on up in size and began to pay more attention to the different styles. I hope to buy within the next two years but still haven't decided exactly what I want.

So far here are two examples of the style that I like:

Grand Banks Aleutian
    grand.jpg

Ocean Alexander MK 1
    ocean.jpg

Now these boats in the newer models are WAYYYYYYY beyond my price range, but the Alexanders that are 35 yrs old get close...lol

On the OA MK 1 the only drawbacks that I see are the boats speed (hull) and on some of the older ones they don't have a flybridge helm. I still like the idea of being able to push the throttles up and get out of the way if I need to.

I like:
    - the boat's lines and style
    - walk on ability
    - covered sidedecks
    - dual helm
    - portuguese bridge

Those two boats are bigger than what I want as I would like to stay in the 45-48 foot range, our slips jump price drastically when moving from a 50 to 60 foot slip. Price range I am looking for really depends on the boat, the age does not bother me as much as some folks but my max price is $175,000.

I have looked at Jefferson, like the new style, don't like the older styles. Looked at Defever and some of those are close.

So what other boats should I be looking at?
    ~ on the hook ~

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : "Curtains" (to be changed in the near future)
    1964 Chris Craft Roamer Commodore

We basically just went on boat trader and all the other sales sites, put on our size and price range then buzzed through the lead pictures. If something caught our eye, we looked. I think that's better than searching for 'x' brand.

Admin

Yeah that is pretty much what I have been doing, however I am slowly coming to the conclusion I need to find something broke or with a hole in it that needs fixing.
    ~ on the hook ~

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : "Curtains" (to be changed in the near future)
    1964 Chris Craft Roamer Commodore

That is certainly what I've been looking for. Couple REALLY nice BIG boats on trader that are in need of refit, resto, completion or repair that are well within our budget and would result in an amazing investment on the back side. I don't foresee buying a "turn key" boat anytime in our future- too expensive! With the skills and drive we have, a "work in progress" is a much better value.

Looking on trader and similar sites sometimes turns up deals on projects. Search "salvage boats" too- there are a few good sites that come up with perfect projects. I was inspired by "The Lost Pearl" (I think I posted a link at some point, but a search easily finds the story). Amazing large boat project that came out quite well.

Home Port : Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Boat's Name : Sweet "P" II
    1979 Tollycraft 30 Sedan

We are thinking of a 50 – 60 foot boat as well. For us it won’t happen until retirement. Nine years to go! After looking at the fuel burn numbers on Yachts this size we have resigned to the fact that a single diesel displacement boat will be our choice. I love the Selene Yachts as well as Nordhaven. A little less pricey is the Nordic Tug and for us the 52’ has the best interior layout I’ve seen. For me it’s about finding a interior layout we like. I’m thinking something without a lot of ladders and winding stairs because we aren’t getting any younger.

For me with a boat this size it’s less about speed because wherever you are, you already have everything you need. I sure am excited for you Tim.

Admin

Lots of good points Roger and the single engine solution may be the way we go. Ray I keep regular tabs on two salvage sites, but one of the best is no longer, it still exists but many shenanigans behind the scenes and its so sad because it is the largest.
    ~ on the hook ~

Lieutenant JG
    Home Port : United Kingdom
    Boat's Name : Halcyon
    Halcyon

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    We are thinking of a 50 – 60 foot boat as well. For us it won’t happen until retirement. Nine years to go! After looking at the fuel burn numbers on Yachts this size we have resigned to the fact that a single diesel displacement boat will be our choice. I love the Selene Yachts as well as Nordhaven. A little less pricey is the Nordic Tug and for us the 52’ has the best interior layout I’ve seen. For me it’s about finding a interior layout we like. I’m thinking something without a lot of ladders and winding stairs because we aren’t getting any younger.

For me with a boat this size it’s less about speed because wherever you are, you already have everything you need. I sure am excited for you Tim.
    The Privateer could be worth considering...

Privateer Yachts

Pete

Admin

Wow they are beautiful, but I doubt I will find any that fit in my budget....lol maybe their dinghy!
    ~ on the hook ~

Home Port : Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Boat's Name : Sweet "P" II
    1979 Tollycraft 30 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Yachts View Post
    The Privateer could be worth considering...

Privateer Yachts

Pete

Stunning yachts. Many things to love about them like great layouts with beautiful finishing in and out. They look seaworthy as all get out. A steel hull would sure give good peace of mind. Looks like the Dutch have this one figured out.
    TimG likes this.

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Buzzards Bay, MA
    40' Jersey Executive, 1974, twin cat 3208s 24' privateer, 1988, delaware cabin, twin 115 oceanrunne

I got into my 40' jersey because the price was right. I didn't do any research and I wasn't looking for anything bigger then my 24' boat.
    Now I think I have a better idea of what is reasonable. Once you go bigger and have a couple real couches in your salon, you have a cottage on the water. If you stay in the slip all the time and race out for a sunset cruise every couple weeks then 18 knots is fun. But if you want to cruise, I'm thinking a nice old single screw ford-Leaman is better.
    I have twin cat 3208s. they can push my boat at 18 knots using an unreasonable amount of fuel. They are documented as most efficient at 2000 RPM with the turbos just starting to whistle. This pushes my boat along at 10.5-12 knots, a comfortable speed that you can move about the boat without feeling like you have to hold on and you can have a normal conversation most anywhere. At this speen I burn 10 gallons per hour per engine. It's costing me about $80 an hour to run and I take this into consideration on vacations. Haven't done long trips except a 3 hour run (each way) to Nantucket one year.
    A trawler hull of similar size and typically a better layout would top out at 10 knots and burn 4-5 gallons an hour.
    Just anther consideration...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast