need to replace exhaust manifolds/riser/elbows on 5.0L MPI mercruiser

Gasoline

Section - i need to replace my exhaust manifolds/risers/elbows on my 5.0L MPI engine. serial number is ...

Bookmark and Share   
    pd3
    Ensign
    2005 sea ray select 200 -5.0L MPI Mercruiser -Alpha 1 stern drive

Default need to replace exhaust manifolds/riser/elbows on 5.0L MPI mercruiser

i need to replace my exhaust manifolds/risers/elbows on my 5.0L MPI engine. serial number is 0w039522.

when i had my boat in the shop for something else i had the mechanic look at it and they quoted me $3000. My buddy and i who i co own the boat with want to do it ourselves and hopefully save some money.
    i see when looking for parts that there are two different types of risers and exhaust elbows. the mechanic i went to said i would need the 3inch risers, but i am trying to determine which model 7" or 14" exhaust elbow i would need. how can i determine which one i need?

also what other tools, parts, special techniques should i know about before starting this project.
    Last edited by pd3; July 5th, 2012 at 18:20.

Admin
    Home Port : Olive Branch, MS
    Boat's Name : "WooHoo"
    1986 Cruisers Elegante 297

I don't have a service manual for that engine in front of me, did you look in the downloads section for a manual?

This is what I found with that serial number by doing a google search, 8093 M Mercury Marine 170 Exhaust Manifold and Elbow Diagram and Parts which shows a part number 864309T01, that part number however has been replaced by 864309T02 http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...l/page486.html which is a 7 deg riser, not a 14 deg. In many cases when you place your order the folks will have access to the manual and be able to tell you exactly what manifold you need.

Replacing them overall is not a hard task as long as the bolts are not seized in the block. If the bolts are rusted be prepared to install new ones as well. Otherwise the installation is pretty straightforward. Just make sure you order and replace the gaskets when you replace the manifolds, in most cases it will work out better if you install the components individually, i.e. put manifolds on first, then risers/elbows etc. I have seen some installations that worked better if you put everything together as a unit then placed them on the engine.

Make sure you do not over-tighten the bolts, use a torque wrench to set them to the manufacturers setting, after operating the engine for a few hours check the torque on the bolts again.
    Last edited by TimG; July 5th, 2012 at 18:27.
    ~ on the hook ~

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Buzzards Bay, MA
    40' Jersey Executive, 1974, twin cat 3208s 24' privateer, 1988, delaware cabin, twin 115 oceanrunne

My brother took his risers to a radiator shop and had them "boiled" out. It gets the rust out of the passages. This bought him a couple more years. Twice the labor of course...

Moderator / Blogger
    Home Port : Meriden, CT
    Boat's Name : Sun Day Driver
    1984 Silverton 34C

Try and find a way to purchase Kroil. It's a penetrating oil like WD40 although it has the thinnest particles that allow it to get into and loosen nuts/bolts. You need to be a company to purchase it, but it's the best stuff out there. Spray all your nuts and bolts now. Take photos of anything that needs to go back together that you might not remember.

Otherwise manifolds, elbows and risers aren't too difficult. Definitely could save a lot off that $3000.
    '84 Silverton 34' T/270s.

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Upstate,SC USA
    Boat's Name : The Caroliner
    30' Spira International Sitka

$3000!That is crazy.I think I charger around $500 + parts on the last one I did.Took two days.I used PB blaster,a MAPP torch,and compressed air to loosen most fasteners.Those that break get the drill and tap treatment.I also let the owner know that if things are to bad,and the manifold needs replacement,that will be extra parts and labor.

pd3
    Ensign

is mercruiser service manual 37: Dry Joint the appropriate manual for my engine?
    A Good Website For Manuals

Admin

PD3 you didn't provide a year, so go here Mercruiser Manuals and look at the service manual index and it will direct you to the correct manual.

If it ask you for a password to get into that section, the password is

selene
    ~ on the hook ~

pd3
    Ensign

Admin

I would assume manual 31 would be for your engine etc, however manual 37 would cover your exhaust. 37 is a supplement meaning as they made improvements to the equipment they didn't want to rewrite a whole manual, they just listed the improvements in a supplement, such full fresh water cooled (circulating anti-freeze not only thru engine but thru exhaust jacket as well), warm manifolds and dry joint exhaust.
    ~ on the hook ~