Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marcrbeaudry

transfer switch - 3 power sources

Marine Electrical

Section - Hello All, long time lurker here - i finally just joined - now i'm a ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    Home Port : Lake Ontario
    1962 Chris Craft Roamer Riviera

Default transfer switch - 3 power sources

Hello All,

long time lurker here - i finally just joined - now i'm a first time poster seeking a sounding board . Thanks for having me.
    Due to our Marina upgrading it's entire shore power electrical distribution system (right from the pole to the dock) and now providing nice new GFCI protected 30 amp outlets for everyone - i'm having to review the wiring architecture on our old Chris. (tripping the gfci of course - in analysis i've lots of married A& B cord neutrals in the old systems- older battery charger with internal ground to neutral bonding etc)
    We currently use two 30amp shore power cords when getting tied up . Otherwise we have an 3000watt inverter and a 7.5kw generator. so each of these sources is single phase of course - the load side is split into two A & B sides .
    i'm looking for a single transfer switch that would allow me to always have the neutral switched irrespective of the source . at minimum a 3 position SHORE\INVERTER\GENERATOR ideally something that would allow a SHORE input of two 30amp circuits simultaneously each powering the A & B side respectively of the panel .
    Inverter or Generator only power the A side of the panel .
    AM i dreaming that such a switch exists ? or do i need to simply leave the B side on it's on breake-rswitch - SHORE\OFF ?

thoughts, opinions, bad jokes are all welcome
    regards,
    marc

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : Bali Hai
    1988 Carver 3207

Id look close at that battery charger as a cause of your troubles. Our old CC had an older ungrounded charger that was doing the same thing. Unplugged it and solved THAT issue. Switch you desire should be available though. Try Grainger. May not enjoy the price much. Let us know where you go with this project!!

Ensign

yup - Charger was on the list - also the neutrals on both cords being married together in the panel -
    lots of time isolating A Cord neutral form B cord Neutrals - the inverter was also patially to blame as the neutral from it went straight to A cord neutral bus instead of being switched as a power source.
    will try Grainger for a transfer switch .
    thanks
    marc

Ensign

Default Transfer Switch - 3 power sources - UPDATE

so I found a shop out of South Carolina called Custom Marine Services - Dan spent some time with me discussing what was going on and proposed some solutions for the switching of the power sources along with addressing the floating neutrals - the solution a new multi-pole\position transfer switch is not cheap - north of 500$ for a single switch ! ouch. I'll let you know what the product is like but the service so far has been fantastic - keep these guys in mind for electrical product - they dont do anything BUT electrical - this is not a shop that also sells boat -shoes , magazines and Tshirts.
    costly , but it's the solution to my selection and floating neutrals problems . i've also reworked the input\load breakers at the same time so that neutral is also on a breaker -safe and safe
    cheers
    marc
    Cap'n Ray likes this.

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : Bali Hai
    1988 Carver 3207

Sounds like youre on a good path! Be sure to share photos of the project- we all love to follow along and get ideas!!