1986 Chris Craft Catalina 294 Odd electrical issue?

Marine Electronics

Section - Hey eveyone, I'm new here and I found the site while searching for some answers ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    Home Port : Maryland
    1986 Chris Craft Catalina 294

Default 1986 Chris Craft Catalina 294 Odd electrical issue?

Hey eveyone, I'm new here and I found the site while searching for some answers which I hope someone can help me with. I just recently purchased this vessel and while on a long trek to my home port the RPM gauge on my starboard motor went to 0 and the oil the oil and temp gauges pegged then the motor shut off. I felt the risers and they were not hot so it did not over heat, and checked oil which was good so I tried to restart and it spit and sputtered and then stared for a few then died still showing no RPM etc. After I checked the water impeller (pain in the ars to get to) I was at the helm tapping the RPM guage while thinking and said ok lets try again. This time it started right up and then the gauge dance a few secs went to 0 and then the oil and temp went up and it started to sputter then i tapped the RPM gauge and it went to normal and temp went down and oil went back to normal and it ran fine.

Can the RPM gauge actually cause this? I have never heard about this but the rest of the way home every time the RPMs went down and I tapped it it went back to normal.

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : Bali Ha’i
    1988 Carver 3207

POSSIBLY! The tach Could conceivably ‘short out’ power to the cool and result in engine failure- not likely it’d kill the tach, oil press, and temp gauges though. More likely, you have a bad connection for ignition power in, or coming from,the ignition switch- if everything is supplied power from one connection, a simple clean and tighten will probably fix it. Alternatively, it’s possible there is a bad ground somewhere.