Electrical Issue on Hurricane

The Marina

Section - I have a 2002 Hurricane FD gs201 and recently started have an electrical issue. While ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    Home Port : Kentucky
    2002 Hurricane FD GS201

Default Electrical Issue on Hurricane

I have a 2002 Hurricane FD gs201 and recently started have an electrical issue. While sitting out in the bay, the radio happened to shut off and when I went to look at it, I noticed all the instruments were powered off and the boat would not even turn over. I turned the key a few time and everything came back on. The radio had lost all it's channels. Once running, all was ok. Later I noticed the fuel gauge which was reading full, was now only reading half. To test my theory i shut off the boat and everything shut down again. . When the gauge was reading normal, the boat would start up again just fine. I know the radio and depth finder are independent from the ignition switch so I do not think the switch is the issue and while the boat is running, it's all good except for the occasional fuel gauge issue. If it were a ground issue, I would think I would be having issue regardless if the engine was on or not. I'm stumped and ned some input if anyone has any ideas. Thanks, Barry

Lieutenant
    Home Port : Villeneuve, Switzerland
    Boatless (but not for long)

As the radio is independent of the ignition switch, you should start by looking at WHAT is between the battery and the radio since something is cutting the power to the radio. Do you have a main cutout switch on the battery that cuts the current to everything? If you turn this off, does the radio lose all of its channels? If yes then look at that switch and, probably replace it. If the radio doesn't lose its channels when you turn off the cutout switch then trace the wires back from the radio to see what is between it and the battery.

Ensign
    Home Port : Kentucky
    2002 Hurricane FD GS201

Thanks for the quick reply. There is no cutoff switch on the battery but I had been wondering if the battery might have a shorted cell thats causing this. Usually when it's shorted, nothing works so I doubt thats the problem. Like I mentioned, when its running all is well except for when I noticed the gas gauge. As far as I can tell, its the only thing affected and gives me a clue the condition is present. Whats the chance the fuel gauge sending unit could be shorting out causing this?? I have my voltmeter and will start at the battery and work my way forward.