Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By lotus

Speedometer

The Marina

Section - I smacked my lower unit on "something "just below the surface,now my speedometer doesn't work.Where ...

Bookmark and Share   
    ddt
    Ensign
    Home Port : FL
    Boat's Name : Unbuttoned
    PROLINE

Default Speedometer

I smacked my lower unit on "something "just below the surface,now my speedometer doesn't work.Where should I start to look to fix it? Thanks! Suzuki 150

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Villeneuve, Switzerland
    Boatless (but not for long)

Most of the time the speedometer works from a "piton" tube, that is, a little plastic thingy attached to the boat, that sticks into the water at the stern, usually near the lower unit. There is a rubber tube that runs from the piton to the speedo and the water pressure when the boat is moving gives you the speed (roughly).

Normally the piton can be tilted out of the water and yours has probably just been tilted up by the impact. Usually an easy fix, just reach in and push the piton back down.

It could also be broken or the hole it it bunged up by a bit of the "something" you hit.
    TimG, Cap'n Ray and ddt like this.

ddt
    Ensign
    Home Port : FL
    Boat's Name : Unbuttoned
    PROLINE

Definitely did not have pitot on stern.Hull was untouched but lower unit did take a hit,luckily I was in a no wake zone.I'll investigate further,Thanks!

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Villeneuve, Switzerland
    Boatless (but not for long)

Try tracing from the speedo back. Unless it is a GPS speedo it will access the water somewhere. Find out where and unblock it.

PS. You are right. It is a pitot not a piton.
    Last edited by lotus; July 10th, 2018 at 03:27.