Deep and wide 14 aluminum utility boat

The Marina

Section - I want to buy a 14 aluminum utility boat for a very smallbody of water ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    Home Port : NL
    NONE

Default Deep and wide 14 aluminum utility boat

I want to buy a 14 aluminum utility boat for a very smallbody of water my cottage is located on. I want the widest and deepest 14 utility boat available for stabilityand in case I use it in larger bodies of water. I also realize the deepest boat may not be the widest. Without having togo to 20 different dealers, can anyone tell me the brands and models I should belooking at? I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Villeneuve, Switzerland
    Boatless (but not for long)

Hi DunkinD and welcome.

You are asking for some mutually exclusive features (not a politician by any chance are you? ). For lateral stability the best would be a wide, flat bottom boat. If you want a deep V hull then the ratio of width to depth will be a lot smaller.

Look at the use you intend to have for the boat (and remember that you, wife and the kids will change those within about two days). Are there lots of shallow places in your lake? Will you be beaching the boat or do you have a dock? Mainly fishing or carting stuff around? For you or for the kids to play with?

Generally a wider, shallow bottom boat will be more useful and comfortable. Deep V is better for rough "seas" but you are unlikely to get much of that on a small lake.

There are, no doubt, forum members that have all the dimensions (as well a hull contour data) in their heads but it is probably quicker to ask Mr. Google for a list of boats and compare them yourself. For a 14 footer is is unlikely that there will be a great deal of difference from one to another and the one that fits your requirements best will be the most expensive and have a 6 month waiting list.

Just get one, put about 15 horses on it and have fun.

PS. You can easily rig up a temporary outrigger when a lot of lateral stability is needed.

Ensign
    Home Port : Raleigh, NC
    none yet

At what point do you think it's just better to rig up a temporary outrigger, Lotus?

Lt Commander

Hi Myrien and welcome to the forum.

When you are not under power, either anchored or just drifting, and will be standing up or moving around a lot. If you want to use the boat as a swimming platform for example, or if you want to do some fly or spin cast fishing. One person should be able to get away without an outrigger (at least once you have got your "sea" legs) but more than one can mean some uncoordinated movement. Most smaller "utility" boats have oar locks and all you would need would be a long oar with a second oar pin attached at the handle end so it would fit into both locks. Then tie a good sized beach ball or medicine ball to the paddle end. If the boat tips one way then the buoyancy of the ball will keep it from tipping over and if it tips the other way then the weight of the extended oar and ball will counter the tipping (why a heavier medicine ball would be better).

An outrigger can prevent the boat from capsizing. It cannot prevent you from losing your balance and falling in the lake.

If you will be standing up or leaning out over the side, to observe and photo fish life for example, then the extra stability of an outrigger can help. If you are zipping along with a few singing and dancing drunks then put on your life vest, aim for a rock, jump out and let nature take its course.
    Last edited by lotus; January 30th, 2019 at 04:45.

Lt Commander

Another note on the temp outrigger. Treat it like training wheels on a bicycle. After a while you wont need it very much as you will get accustomed to the way the boat rocks around and will start to compensate for it.
    You will also learn to stay in the center of the boat, cast sitting down, climb into the boat over the transom, etc.