Does "Keep it Original" apply?

The Marina

Section - Tim G posted that the neat thing about old boats is that if you don't ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Lt Commander
    Home Port : Villeneuve, Switzerland
    Boatless (but not for long)

Default Does "Keep it Original" apply?

Tim G posted that the neat thing about old boats is that if you don't like something you can change it and it got me wondering if there is a "keep it original" group/movement in the boating world as there is with old cars? I spend time on an MG forum, keeping up with my 1974 MGB and there are many people who shriek in horror at using a Torx head screw to replace the original Pozi drive one. Does the boating world have a "Concours d'elegance" circus?

This last weekend there was an old boat regatta near me where all boats had to be from the pre-plastic days (and original) or made to the original materials specs (I couldn't go, dammit) but is this common?

Admin
    Home Port : Olive Branch, MS
    Boat's Name : "WooHoo"
    1986 Cruisers Elegante 297

i have a friend that does that with old boats, well to a degree at least but these are the old woodies and classics.
    ~ on the hook ~

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : Bali Ha’i
    1988 Carver 3207

I can’t imagine ‘keeping it original’ if modern is safer, stronger, longer lasting, or or or... I TOTALLY get “look original” and “in keeping with original design”, but new technologies have a way of making our boats better without changing the look and feel.

Just my .02˘

Lt Commander

I was just wondering if there was an "investment" market for some old boats as there is for old cars. Find an original Shelby Cobra and put it in like new condition and you will have a noisy, uncomfortable, unreliable and dangerous car that will sell for $10,000,000. Add a bunch of modern safety and reliability modifications and you might get $ 100,000 for it.

Boats, even famous ones don't seem to have the same "collector" value. A quick glance at the fate of many of the Americas Cup winning boats shows that most have rotted out, been broken up or have been sold for peanuts to take tourists around the Caribbean.

Ensign
    Home Port : MA
    78 Silverton 31

The thing with boats is that they came from the factory pretty stripped and the owner had to add even the most basic necessities, rendering each boat customized by the original owner.

I suppose there would be some value in keeping a boat period-correct, but only as long as it was also functionally safe as well.

After a lifetime of restoring old cars, bikes, and houses, I'm all about keeping my '78 Silverton period-correct in appearance. But if there's a more efficient, safer, more reliable way of doing something I'm gonna do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Lt Commander

I think that you are right Swampyankee. If you took say, 100 hulls from the last 20 years of varying lengths and stripped them of names and identifying tags it would be very hard to tell which was which. Also, fiberglass doesn't rust and AFIK, can't be recycled, so all of them are still out there somewhere which limits the rarity value.