Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By capnken
  • 1 Post By Cap'n Ray
  • 1 Post By TimG
  • 2 Post By capnken
  • 2 Post By Don Branscom

Greetings from Seraphim

The Marina

Section - Hi everyone, My name is Ken Hopkins. I visit this site occasionally to get ideas ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    24 ft. steel hull sailboat. Self built

Default Greetings from Seraphim

Hi everyone,
    My name is Ken Hopkins. I visit this site occasionally to get ideas and answers to the many questions we boaters have.
    My vessel is an all steel 24ft. sloop designed by Graham Shannon called the Tom Thumb design. I built the boat in our back yard in the stretch of 10 yrs. while raising a family. The boat is small but mighty. In spite of it's weight and beam, it sails surprisingly well on all points. I named the boat Seraphim. No not Seraffyn, like the Pardey boat, but Seraphim after the mighty angels that surround the throne of God.
    I worked as a metals craftsman for the Chevron Corp. at their Richmond refinery facility for 30 yrs. I'm now retired and my wife and I cruise the SF bay but are thinking now of going on longer voyages.
    Thank you for the many answers and tips you all contribute to the boating community. See you in the Forum,

capnken

Seraphim
    43-1997-launch-seraphim-001.jpg33-seraphim-under-construction-074.jpg
    fish_fear_me likes this.

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : Bali Hai
    1988 Carver 3207

Welcome aboard Ken! Good to have you on the forum. That is a great lookin boat, quite the project but like most, it sounds like she was worth the effort! Hope you find lots of useful information here, and share your adventures with us. Let us know if we can help with any info or ideas.
    capnken likes this.

Admin
    Home Port : Olive Branch, MS
    Boat's Name : "WooHoo"
    1986 Cruisers Elegante 297

capnken glad to have you, you did a fantastic job with that boat, looking forward to hearing your tales of adventure
    capnken likes this.
    ~ on the hook ~

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Colorado
    Boat's Name : Adventure
    Transworld Formosa 41 (New York)

I just want to say, that is a beautiful boat, Ken.

Ensign
    24 ft. steel hull sailboat. Self built

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments,
    We last had Seraphim out about 3 weeks ago for fleet week in SF bay. We couldn't have asked for better weather. We anchored off the SF waterfront in what's known as Aquatic Park. Much of San Francisco's maritime history is on display there. The air show over the water close to shore was fantastic. As a finale the famous Blue Angels flew their formations to the amazement of all.
    During our four days out on the water we spent our nights at the Berkeley marina where one night we celebrated my wife Julie's birthday with a barbecue. Are kids had come to join us for the day and we also invited a couple we met on the docks that are up for the summer from the Sea of Cortez where their boat Prism is waiting for their return. There was a beautiful sunset that night, good wine, great conversation that lasted till 1:00 am. Ah life is good,
    capnken
    img_0201.jpg
    TimG and Cap'n Ray like this.

Ensign
    Home Port : Tucson
    None

Default Tom Thumb

Dear Ken ,

I came across your photo and post and it is good to see the boat again.
    It was the best built steel boat I have seen.

Donald Branscom
    Tucson, Ariz.
    TimG and Cap'n Ray like this.

Ensign
    Home Port : Seattle, WA
    don't have a boat at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by capnken View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments,
    We last had Seraphim out about 3 weeks ago for fleet week in SF bay. We couldn't have asked for better weather. We anchored off the SF waterfront in what's known as Aquatic Park. Much of San Francisco's maritime history is on display there. The air show over the water close to shore was fantastic. As a finale the famous Blue Angels flew their formations to the amazement of all.
    During our four days out on the water we spent our nights at the Berkeley marina where one night we celebrated my wife Julie's birthday with a barbecue. Are kids had come to join us for the day and we also invited a couple we met on the docks that are up for the summer from the Sea of Cortez where their boat Prism is waiting for their return. There was a beautiful sunset that night, good wine, great conversation that lasted till 1:00 am. Ah life is good,
    capnken
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	4055
    What a great looking boat you have, Ken. I wish I could see it in real life. Have you been on any longer voyages like you planned?