The Marina

Section - Hi. I just joined the site and wanted to say hello. I retired from active ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Home Port : Key West, FL
    Silverton 34 Express

Default New Member

Hi. I just joined the site and wanted to say hello. I retired from active duty in the Navy a while back and am just now getting back on the water. I'm looking at a Silverton 34 Express and will relocate to the Florida Keys.

As I am new to the boating experience I have a question. The boat I'm looking at lists in its specs as having a head but does not say anything about a pump-out connection or a collection tank or a diverter valve for the head. I did sent email asking for clarification on that. My question is this: if the boat does not have a collection tank and pump out connection how hard and how expensive would it be to back-fit.

Thanks,

Megan

Admin
    Home Port : Olive Branch, MS
    Boat's Name : "WooHoo"
    1986 Cruisers Elegante 297

Hi Megan, welcome aboard. It is good that you asked for clarification from the seller. Unless it has been modified most of these boats that have a head will have a holding tank, and most likely a pump out, if it doesn't have a pump out then it would have to have a mascerator and overboard discharge which you will have to be careful about due to the rules concerning discharging waste overboard.

A refit can be costly and would totally depend on the location of the head and what space is available around it. The expense could be a deal breaker.

I'd wait til I got a response from the seller to see where you stand, I think you'll be ok.
    ~ on the hook ~

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : Bali Hai
    1988 Carver 3207

Welcome aboard Megan! Good to have you on the forum. I agree with Tim- it probably has the proper equipment but it is good to know in advance. One other possible setup is a "porta-potti" which would have NO external attachments or connections- it is packed out and emptied ashore manually, but I don't think that is too likely in a 34' boat! Keep us posted, hopefully all works out well for you.