Buying boat; serious concern...

Engine Room

Section - Hi Everyone, first time poster. I already got some very useful info on stuffing boxes ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Ensign
    Home Port : Queensland
    None

Default Buying boat; serious concern...

Hi Everyone,
    first time poster. I already got some very useful info on stuffing boxes on here, thanks for the great site.
    Briefly I am in Queensland, Australia and am looking to buy my first Yacht. It is a 1979 Dufour 35 and is being sailed to Aus at the moment from Tahiti.
    The owners have posted their trip on several blogs and I have noticed some repairs they have done.
    This one is very concerning to me..

They have taken out the entire stuffing box and cutlass bearing I think? I am very new to this...
    it seems they have cut open the shaft log and removed the entire piece.
    Is this usual? How did they replace it (with a new one I suppose) and make the shaft log solid and safe again?
    They say the piece was cast into the hull during construction...?

any thoughts please

thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails df18c03e-1068-49aa-be52-10686fcb4fd8.jpg   d714d019-fe7f-4ff2-bbc0-34dc5fc3b024.jpg  

Admin
    Home Port : Olive Branch, MS
    Boat's Name : "WooHoo"
    1986 Cruisers Elegante 297

Squeaky along with you I would be concerned as well. I don't have as much knowledge of sailing and sailboat repair but I wonder why they had to remove the whole shaft log unless there was a structural issue going on with it, in many cases the stuffing box can be removed from the shaft log.

As with most boats pretty much anything can be repaired, it is just the quality of the repair that is the determining factor.

I would suggest getting a really good surveyor to look at that area with the boat out of the water and see what he says.
    ~ on the hook ~

Ensign
    Home Port : Queensland
    None

Thanks for the reply TimG, yes I will definitely get a proper survey done if we go ahead.