Trim problem

Engine Room

Section - Once the trim is either all the way up or down it seems to stick ...

Bookmark and Share   
    Lieutenant
    1997 Welcraft

Default Trim problem

Once the trim is either all the way up or down it seems to stick in the last position and won't move. We hear clicking but no movement when the button is pushed. I then have to take out my trusty girl hammer and tap the top of the trim motor while Mike presses the trim button and presto away she goes.
    So here's the thing, as long as we release the trim button just before it's finnished going all the way up / down, it works happily on it's own when needed without the hammer tapping. Needles to say it has to be be fixed so what would your best guess be....
    solenoide, brushes ????
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Lt Commander
    Home Port : Upstate,SC USA
    Boat's Name : The Caroliner
    30' Spira International Sitka

From your description,it sounds like the hydraulic lift cylinders are corroded and sticking.What brand/model stern drive does your boat have?

Admin
    Home Port : Olive Branch, MS
    Boat's Name : "WooHoo"
    1986 Cruisers Elegante 297

agreed!
    ~ on the hook ~

Lieutenant
    1997 Welcraft

Thanks boys, Mike will have it checked out.

Home Port : SW Florida
    Boat's Name : Bali Hai
    1988 Carver 3207

Hopefully I'm not too late here, but we had a similar issue on the Bayliner- turned out that just using it solved the problem. Initially we had to be prepared to tap or 'help' it down from full up, but after a few trips to the lake and running it up and down, she started to behave. She did sit in a field for 5 years before we got her- I cleaned the rams with 0000 steel wool and oil before we ever moved em to prevent destroying the seals- never had a problem after the initial sticking though. Best of luck with yours!!

Lieutenant
    1997 Welcraft

Being a woman, Mike tells me I've led you all down the wrong path. Apparently I'v been tapping on the trim pump (black metal cover that sits on the plastic reservoir) not the motor,who knew. Also letting the button go before the trim goes all the way down or up was just a happy 1 or 2 time thing. I'm still tapping so what are your thoughts on the fix.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Carol; August 26th, 2012 at 11:20.

1988 Carver 3207

Ahhh- well, that could be the pump itself, connectors to the pump, or more likely the relays inside that carry the high current for the pump motor. Aside from cleaning all your connections and making sure you have a good ground, you'll have to start taking covers off and taking things apart. If you guys are mechanically inclined and confident in your abilities, you might try reversing the hydraulic lines (there should just be two at the pump) and remember then that up is down and down is up then see if the 'sticking' is at the bottom instead of the top- that might indicate a bad relay or sticking solenoid valve. I'm still partially leaning toward the relay though- the 'click' with no action tells me it's getting power and the 'command' to run but not making good contact internally to pass the high current to the pump motor. Hope I haven't gone off into left field on ya here! Super helpful suggestion would be to get the model number and search online for a manual on the pump- it'll show where all the components are and probably have some good troubleshooting tips!

Lieutenant
    1997 Welcraft

Thanks Ray, we do have the manual for the pump but alas Mike is not very mechanically incline, (he'll be the first to tell you) so we're taking a fellow with us to sort it out next week. Mike feels the trouble is one of those things you've mentioned. Thanks again.

1988 Carver 3207

You bet. Let us know what you find out!